Why is CoolSculpting Growing in Popularity?
According to the latest statistics, the non-surgical fat removing process known as CoolSculpting is definitely on the rise in terms of its popularity. That’s according to the latest annual report from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
It’s a technique we’re proud to offer here at the Sadrian Plastic Surgery, Laser and Skin Care Institute of San Diego. In this issue, we’ll talk about what’s behind the growing popularity of CoolSculpting, and other cosmetic surgery procedures that saw significant growth during 2017.
What is CoolSculpting?
As we wrote in a previous entry, CoolSculpting is the process of specifically targeting fat cells and then cooling them. Because the fat cells will actually freeze at higher temperatures than tissue matter around them, the fat cells will crystallize before dying.
The, ahem, cool aspect of CoolSculpting is that there’s absolutely no damage to either your skin, nerves or the surrounding tissue of the targeted area.
How popular is CoolScupting?
According to the ASPS report, CoolSculpting procedures jumped 7% over the previous year. The president of the ASPS credited the growth of technology in the increased popularity of CoolSculpting.
“Unwanted fat is something that affects so many Americans, but plastic surgeons are able to give patients more options than ever before for fat elimination or redistribution,” he said. “Patients appreciate having options, especially if they can act as maintenance steps while they decide if getting something more extensive down the line will be right for them.”
How to decide: CoolScupting vs. liposuction?
Both procedures are incredibly effective at removing fat. Here are the advantages of both CoolSculpting and liposuction.
- a bit more aggressive with the reduction of fat;
- able to generate more immediately noticeable results;
- capable of combining other surgical and skin-tightening procedures simultaneously.
- non-invasive (there are no incisions);
- requires no associated recovery time; and
- is typically less expensive, depending upon the extent of the targeted areas.
What are the other most popular plastic surgery procedures?
Collectively, there were more than 17 million surgical and minimally invasive procedures in the U.S. in 2017 – that’s an increase of about 2% from the previous year.
The top 5 surgical procedures were:
- Breast augmentation – up 3% with 300,378 procedures;
- Liposuction – up 5% with 246,354 procedures;
- Nose reshaping (Rhinoplasty) – down 2% with 218,924 procedures;
- Eyelid surgery – about the same as last year with 209,571 procedures; and
- Tummy tuck – up 2% with 129,753 procedures.
If you’re considering CoolSculpting or liposuction in San Diego, call the Sadrian Plastic Surgery, Laser and Skin Care Institute.
We’re proud to offer both liposuction and CoolSculpting, and will more than happy to discuss details and advantages of them with you.
To learn more, call us at 858-457-1111 or reach us online.