What Does The World Think of Plastic Surgery?
If you’re under the impression that plastic surgery is mainly an American-fueled phenomenon, we’ve got some news for you.
According to a new report from the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS), there were over 17 million cosmetic procedures performed by plastic surgeons throughout the world in 2016. The U.S. saw just over 4 million procedures or about 17.9% of the global total.
So which countries make up the remaining 82%? We’ll talk about it in this issue.
Which 10 countries had the most plastic surgery procedures?
The top-10 ranking looks like this:
- USA (4,217,862)
- Brazil (2,524,115)
- Japan (1,137,976)
- Italy (957,814)
- Mexico (923,243)
- Russia (896,629)
- India (878,180)
- Turkey (789,564)
- Germany (730,437)
- France (517,731)
What was the most popular plastic surgery procedure worldwide?
Breast augmentation – accounting for 15.8% of all surgical cosmetic procedures – continued to outpace other procedures in popularity. Coming in 2nd was liposuction (14%); followed by eyelid surgery at 3rd (12.9%); rhinoplasty at 4th (7.6%); and abdominoplasty at 5th (7.4%).
The top-5 countries with the most breast augmentations were:
- USA (586,476)
- Brazil (434,775)
- Russia (134,214)
- Mexico (110,344)
- Germany (102,113)
Was there a difference in gender?
Boy, was there! Women accounted for about 86% of the plastic surgery procedures worldwide while men accounted for the remaining 14%.
For women, the most popular procedures were: breast augmentation; liposuction, eyelid surgery, abdominoplasty and breast lift.
The top procedures for men worldwide were: eyelid surgery, gynecomastia (male breast reduction), rhinoplasty, liposuction and hair transplant.
Sadrian Plastic Surgery, Laser & Skin Care Institute Of San Diego Can Give You A Fresh Younger Look!
The bottom line is this: around the world, plastic surgery continues to grow in popularity as people become more educated about available options while doctors continue to innovate.
To find out more about how to get a more youthful look, call us here at Sadrian Plastic Surgery, Laser & Skin Care Institute in San Diego.
Our number is 858-457-1111.