What You Need to Know about BIA-ALCL, Textured Breast Implants and Allergan Textured Implant Recall
We are reaching out in hopes of helping all of our patients understand why textured breast implants have been making headline news and the FDA's recent request for textured implant recall.
- The FDA asked Allergan to voluntarily recall the BIOCELL textured implants, which they did.
- The FDA Does Not Recommend Removal or replacement of textured breast implants in patients that have no symptoms.
What is it:
BIA-ALCL stands for Breast Implant Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma. This is an uncommon and highly treatable type of lymphoma that can develop around Textured implants.
- Typically, 8-9 years after surgery
- In both saline & silicone Textured Implants
- NO cases have been reported with Smooth Implants
Why it made the news:
- Textured implants have been recalled / banned in 41 countries
- Allergan Biocell Textured implant just recalled in the US
- 753 cases and 33 deaths are now reported
- Breast enlargement - up to double the size. This is the most common symptom (80% of patients with BIA-ALCL exhibit this symptom)
- Lump in the breast area and or armpit
- Fluid Collection
- If a patient is asymptomatic (no symptoms), it is very unlikely they have BIA-ALCL
- Schedule a consultation
- A physical exam will be performed
- If needed, an Ultrasound and / or MRI will be ordered
- En Bloc total capsulectomy (where the implant and the capsule / scar tissue around the breast implant are removed in one piece.) The entire capsule must be removed
Are you Concerned About Your Implants or Know Someone That Is?
- If you have smooth implants — There has never been a reported case of BIA-ALCL with smooth implants. If you are having symptoms or concerns, please schedule an appointment to see Dr. Sadrian.
- If you have textured implants — Although all textured implants may have some risk of this malignancy, Allergan Biocell Textured Implants have been recalled due to a high rate of BIA-ALCL. While the FDA is NOT recommending removal for patients without symptoms, if you still wish removal of your textured implants to minimize your risk in the future, Dr. Sadrian would be more than happy to meet with you to discuss this and address any concerns you may have. Dr. Sadrian has been performing en bloc resection and implant replacement as well as other breast surgeries for over 19 years.
I truly hope that this information has been helpful.
I’d like my patients to feel reassured that in my 19 years of practice, almost all of the breast implants I have placed have been smooth and NOT textured. If you are having symptoms or concerns, I would be happy to see you for a complementary consultation. We are here to answer your questions and assist in any way we can.
Please call 858-457-1111
Reza Sadrian, MD
Accessibility: If you are vision-impaired or have some other impairment covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to using this website, please contact our Accessibility Manager at 888-210-2982.